Sunday, July 10, 2011

Meeting Erica

Due to my location and hours, a dog still wasn’t an option. But the concept of an indoor cat really appealed to me, so the day after my promotion, I headed over to an animal shelter in Van Nuys, and set about my task.

I had good luck with female pets growing up, and wanted to keep that trend alive. I also wanted a kitten, so I could raise and train her as my own. Most importantly, I wanted her to be people friendly. A woman in the room suggested sticking my finger in each cage and if any approached, that would be the indicator I was looking for. As I passed the first six or seven cages, my finger was stuck in, rejected, and hissed at, but most of those cats were adults anyway.

Finally, I arrived at a cage of kittens, asleep in a big pile. On top slept an exotic looking one with silver fur. According to the info tag, it was also a female. I stuck my finger in the cage and her beautiful green eyes opened immediately. She leaped off the top of the pile and came right over to my finger, playing with it for several minutes before politely turning her back and taking a dump. I thought, “All the affection and a lady too? This is definitely the cat for me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment